Frequently Asked Questions
What programs do you have available?

We have three separate programs: Public Housing, Section 8 and Dirigo School Apartments. All are subsidized and rent is based on 30% of gross adjusted income. Income limits are set by family size. Low Housing Income Tax Credit.  

What waiting lists are open?

Currently, all waiting lists are opened except for the Public Housing one bedrooms. 

What is the difference between public housing and Section 8?

Public Housing units are apartments that the Housing Authority owns and operates. The Housing Authority is the landlord. Section 8 vouchers are used with private landlords in market rate units throughout Brewer's jurisdiction. 

What is Brewer's jurisdiction?

Brewer, Holden, Orrington and Eddington.

How do I apply for your programs?

You may apply for our programs by contacting us for an application. You will initially be given a preliminary application and as your name comes closer to the top of the waiting list you will complete a full application to determine if you are eligible for our program(s). We can be reached in the following ways:

Call: 207-989-7890 or V/TDD 989-9810

In person: 15 Colonial Circle, Suite 1 
                     Brewer, ME 04412

Write: 15 Colonial Circle, Suite 1 
     Brewer, ME 04412

Office Hours: 
Monday - Friday 8:00AM to 4:00PM 
No person shall, on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, familial status, or disability be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under the Brewer Housing Authority's programs.
The Housing Authority of the 
City of Brewer